Monday 2 June 2014

02/06/2014




02/06/2014 ; 23:34:

Okay, I will admit here that I am hoping to get this post finished before the 00:00 mark.

On the subject of Indore & Poha. Poha is supposedly THE thing in Indore. It sells on the sides of the road, as breakfast, it is prepared in households and even our mess is not immune to it- Poha regularly features as both a breakfast and a snack item. While, one cannot deny the fact that 'pohe', cooked with onions, an assortment of spices and style is good, my predicament lies with the fact that I simply do not like Poha. I do not dislike it, however, do not get me wrong there; I just would not go out of my way to find a good plate of Poha. (But, Mummy-ke-haath ka Poha is often welcome)
Poha is served with Tomato Ketchup , assorted Sev , onions, coriander and even chhole.
(Poha with Chhole and onions and sev is something Archit introduced me to and I even ate it a second time!) (I also liked Raghav ki Mummy's Poha )

Sev & Tomato Ketchup -- A lot of items, in Indore are served with a very typical topping of tomato ketchup & sev. There is an item called a 'Baked Samosa' which is neither a samosa nor baked , which I've seen for the first time only in Indore. It is a kind of patties which has a filling of potatoes (usually). Then, this is 'made' and served ('yeh bane ke dena!') i.e. it is opened, slathered in ketchup, filled with a generous helping of sev , perhaps onions and then relished.

This idea of crunchy, flavourful sev completing food is one that really appeals to me! I have begun to enjoy aloo sandwiches with sev, on the mornings that the mess prepares Poha!

I once remember quizzing a batch-mate who is from Indore aka 'local' about some aspects of Poha that really puzzled me. 'What happens if some Indori kid does not like Poha?' I was promptly informed that such a scenario was not possible!

Well, as long as I have sev !

No comments:

Post a Comment