Friday 16 May 2014

15/05/2014




15/05/2014 ; 16:45 :

On 5th May, 2014 I both returned & issued a book from the library for the first time since I've been here. I remember, in the weeks preceding my departure from home, I'd very ambitiously informed my parents that I'd 'make a house' in the library & read all the books they had, over the five years I was to spend here. So much for that.

Someone lent me a book to read, on the evening of 4th May while informing me that said book had to be returned to the library on or before 05/05/2014. Challenge accepted. Now, reading the book in one night was the lesser challenge. Figuring out the process of returning a book to the library was the harder. I interrogated multiple people on the 'how's' , 'what's' & 'where's' before daring to venture close to the library. I had decided that I was under no circumstances going to look like the clueless kid lost in the grocery store. I confidently opened the heavy wooden double doors that guard the precious intellectual resource of the years that we have access to so easily, today. I stepped up to the first entry point and declared that I had a book to return. Getting through customs was easier! The details of the book were very meticulously noted down in a long register. I tried to look all calm & composed, like this behaviour was routine to me. Then, I remembered the instructions and walked up to the 'Help Desk'. A couple of young ladies stood there, issuing fat, scary-looking books on Econometrics. I smiled. I waited patiently. The important-looking man behind the desk finished up with the ladies before asking me what I needed. I just pushed the book toward him and said ' Sir, return' . 'Return'. And, he just slid the book under that vast abyss of a table. It was done! I'd successfully returned a book!
Now, I was feeling really brave. I ascended one flight of stairs, turned right and walked straight up to the 'English Fiction' section. Now, while the library has a lot of books, the English Fiction collection is understandably limited; management students should be reading more Economics & less Danielle Steele. I looked around, awed, unable to understand how people 'selected A book'. I finally agreed on 2 books. I tried picking one, but, I agreed that two was an acceptable number. I strolled back down to the 'Help Desk'. I pushed the books forward, more confidently, this time . 'Sir, Issue'. I told him my roll number and let him look through the pile of library cards he had. He spent a good few minutes before he checked the 'master list' . I then politely told him that I did not have a library card. He checked my name in the master list, realised that I was at the end of my second year here and proceeded to invite company to share humour with, at my expense. 'Oh, you spent 2 years without seeing the face of the library, you might as well have spent 2 more' (sic) . I shrugged & smiled as best as I could muster. I was instructed to wait for 10 minutes. And, then, at the end of those 10 minutes, I was handed a small squarish-piece of blue paper. My library card. My very own library card. To issue books against. To love, to cherish, to keep mine, for the next 3 years! I smiled. I was instructed to get my books 'registered' in the register at the entrance. 'Hmm, do I look like a newbie? ' But,well, I was too thrilled to care. I walked out, books in hand , smile on my face & my card safe in the abyss that is the library table!


















No comments:

Post a Comment