Friday 23 October 2015

23/10/2015


23/10/2015; 06:20:

Friday morning began with a MacroEconomics session, which ended with the professor suggesting that be prepared for a surprise quiz that’s to happen sometime soon. The Accounts professor managed to hold a surprise quiz, right after, based on the case that we ought to have read for said session.
Post-lunch, an OB class was scheduled for all 8 sections. We were to watch a movie- right after lunch, all 563 students moved to the New Auditorium where ‘12 Angry Men’ was screened. It’s a brilliant movie that I’ve seen at least twice before- the arguments, human interaction and behaviour are all very well captured in this movie which focuses on a jury making a decision on a life-sentence.

Right after, I headed up to the Acad Block, for a feedback session by our marketing professor. All the groups had handed in an assignment, and since this was the first of the course, Ma’am decided that feedback was in order. I guess we now have a better idea of what should go into our marketing assignments, and how.

Voice of Indore- the hunt for Indore’s best singer- has been holding auditions across the city in the run up to the finale which is on 23rd October, when IRIS begins. 16th evening saw the Campus edition of the auditions, at 7:30 p.m., at JAM. The judges had come down from Gautam Kale’s Sangeet Gurukul, the same as for all the other auditions. It eventually turned into an evening of joyous singing; we closed with promising to have the results up on the FaceBook page in a few hours and getting a team photo with the judges! It was nice to finally be anchoring an event where I was actually part of the organizing team!

17th i.e. Saturday i.e. end of the working week was soon upon us- it’s probably unfair, at least right now to think of the weekend as well the ‘end’ of work, for with IRIS right around the corner, we’re probably doing more work on weekends than we’d do on any other day.
We had just one OM class to attend, and that too at 10:15; we worked methodically on the case in question, solving the 3 inventory-related problems that the firm was facing one-by-one. An in-class assignment in the form of a similar case has been promised for the next lecture.

Most of the day was spent getting interesting FaceBook posts up on the IRIS page with a short meeting at 1:30 p.m. in the middle. We headed out to get some good food, in the evening. Once back, we stumbled upon an about-to-begin game of football in the centre of SR-09 and promptly joined in- another lady and me appointed ourselves as goalkeepers for either team and did a rather excellent job at staving off goals. Someone brought out a cricket bat about an hour into the game and took over goalkeeping at the other end; eventually football morphed into cricket and we left to head over to the night mess.

Our journey to the night mess turned out to be rather longer than we’d anticipated, courtesy a friend who decided that he ought to fall asleep everywhere! First, in the grass by the footpath close to Mess2, then on the cement platform right outside Mess2 while I fetched another friend who was busy with dance practice. Practice was still to still be in progress for some time, so we decided that it was best to get Mr. Sleepy to his room and then re-convene sans him in the night mess. We managed to get to his hostel without incident- he then fell asleep in a random room on the ground floor; we eventually got to his floor and just when I thought he’d get to his own bed, he plopped down on the bed of the first open room in the hostel and even began sleep-talking. Finally, he decided that his own bed was most comfortable and settled in while I headed off to the night mess.

Sunday morning should ideally have begun late, but, there were Voice of Indore auditions to be conducted- open auditions, at Gautam Kale’s Sangeet Gurukul. We got on the 10 a.m. bus and were at the venue by 11 a.m. Part of the team had gotten there an hour ago and the auditions were in full swing. We stood around, mesmerized by the wonderful singers that came in- a lot of them were really good, which wasn’t a surprise really, given the venue and the fact that a lot of them are pursuing courses at music schools.

We were back on campus a little after lunch-time. We then proceeded to get some food from Dominos and have a nap before the Dandiya night that was in store! The Dandiya Night began at around 8:30 p.m. Close to 10 p.m., we got to see a brilliant performance that was the result of all the dance practice that’d been happening. We then proceeded to dance until the music was turned off at around 3 a.m.

We had four classes to begin Monday with. Even after all the late-night dancing, everyone was in class, and not sleepy too! We had an OB class where we played a team-game, based on the idea of competition v/s cooperation and how sometimes cooperation can lead to better gains for everyone involved.
Continuing with the series of articles we’ve been getting up on InsideIIM, Mercur-I, the marketing club wrote one- the article is titled "E-commerce Sales : A Lesson Learnt" and discusses e-commerce sales, what impact they have on consumers and what e-commerce companies must look forward to on the road ahead.
After class, I spent some time with the juniors, iterating their résumés, in the CC lab. It’s interesting how different yet beautiful everyone’s résumés are! Some food later, I was helping a friend with her marketing assignment.
At around 11, I made my way to SR-18, the IPM Girls’ Hostel to go over some more résumés. Now, most of my other batch-mates (a few of us had volunteered to help out) had called the juniors over to their own rooms, I found it a lot more efficient to go over myself.

Once back, I got working on my IGNOU assignments that needed to be handed in by 5 p.m., Tuesday. I got three assignments done in a little over an hour and was pretty happy; I don’t recall falling asleep but of course I did, waking up with a start close to 9:45 a.m.

I then rushed to class- unlike all the other sections, we didn’t have an 8:45 class, on the 20th. After class, I completed my one leftover assignment- we then headed to go submit them- we split up- one person went to the bank to get DD’s made, another went to the printer room to get the question papers/cover pages printed, a third went over to the IPM Office to get the examination forms and I headed over to SR-08 to pick up envelopes that I’d picked up from the Pi shop the night before. We then re-convened in the CC lab and got our assignments in order, filled in the examination forms and had them submitted a little after 4:30 p.m.

A short nap later, I headed out for dinner; my father was in Indore for official purposes and dinner was definitely in order before he headed back.

There was only one class on Wednesday morning; I was then woken up at 2:30 in the afternoon, courtesy some persistent banging on my door by a concerned friend. Some food later, we made plans to play basketball.
At around 8 p.m., we headed up to the Pi Shop where a Durga Puja pandal had been set-up. The Ashtami Aarti was indeed a grand affair- people all dressed up and dancing! We ordered in some food and spent a long time eating it!

Thursday morning i.e. 22nd October i.e. Dusshera! I was woken up at 11 a.m. for a Media team meeting was to be held at 11:30; the meeting got postponed, but at least my day began in the first half (and on a holiday too!).
Some rice and pickle for lunch later, I fell asleep again, only to be finally be woken up at 8:30 p.m. for a Voice of Indore team meeting- IRIS begins tomorrow and the grand finale of Voice of Indore is the first event to take over the Cultural Events scene, early in the evening. Work was to be divided and I get to host the event. Some preparation about the finalists and their songs needs to be done.

Some milk at the Pi-Shop later, I headed to Mess2 and got myself lemon soda and a chicken sandwich to go. Only once I’d reached my room did I realise that I never actually picked up the sandwich- I clearly got distracted by the ice in my soda and the sandwich slipped my mind completely.
It was nearly 10:30 and the re-scheduled Media team meeting was to happen at 11, so I headed up. The meeting was once again shifted, to midnight, this time. My sandwich and I returned to my room; we made our way up to the meeting, via Mess-1, clicking a few pictures that’d look good on the FaceBook page.
We went over the IRIS schedule to make sure that everything would be covered and make it to the press release. I picked up some food, and just as I reached the hostel, a member from the Operations team called me up. Apparently, the IRIS T-shirts had arrived and everyone other than the Media team had collected theirs. The only reasonable thing to do was to collect said T-shirts- they look really nice- they’re a brilliant shade of blue, with our names and ‘MEDIA’ printed on the back.

I’ve since been up, putting pictures up on the FaceBook page- I even got one of some participants arriving with their bags!

The Inauguration Ceremony begins at 9 a.m. and I should probably get some sleep if I hope to be there- IRIS 2015!!

No comments:

Post a Comment